- Recommended for: Grades 7-12
- Formats: PPT or Google Slides; PDF
- Editable: YES, all text is editable throughout.
- Number of slides/pages: 45 slides + 2 printable pages
- Lesson Duration: This is not a library lesson. It is a scrolling slideshow about news media.
While some do use this Digital Bulletin Board as a news media literacy lesson or for journalism classes, I did not create it for this purpose. I am a school librarian, and I created this as a scrolling slideshow for school libraries.
It is meant as a passive library program, not a lesson. You can set the slideshow timings and leave it to scroll throughout the day.
If you plan to use this News Media Digital Bulletin Board as a lesson, be advised that you may need to edit some text, move some slides around, and/or delete some slides. Additional prep will likely be needed.
- 45 PPT slides + Google™ Slides link (all text is editable)
- Recommended Reads (2 pages, editable in PDF and PPT; hand out to teachers, students, and parents)
- How to set PPT and Google slide timings directions
- All text is in PPT and Google™ Slides. Images have been flattened to protect the copyright.
- Scroll the presentation using automatic timings (instructions included).
- Propaganda (what it is, characteristics)
- How is propaganda different from censorship?
- Fake news (what it is, how to spot it)
- Bias – definition and examples
- Satire (not the same as fake news)
- Fake product reviews and how to spot them
- “Verified” reviews and why you can’t trust them
- Ads disguised as news articles
- Editorials, types of editorials, and editorializing
- Deciding what news to trust is difficult for everyone
- What to do when news is stressful
- 3 slides – “Real or Fake?” headlines – students determine which headlines are real and which are satire
- 2 True or False question slides (answer and explanation slides included)
- 2 trivia questions with answer slides
- 1 slide – Which clickbait headline is your favorite?
- 1 Would you rather…?
- This week’s birthdays
- Daily and weekly agendas
- Upcoming events
- Meet our journalism teacher (can change to journalism students if you prefer)
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (Grades 7-12)
- Veterans Day Digital Bulletin Board (Grades 7-12)
- Election Day Digital Bulletin Board (Grades 7-12)
- Ramadan Digital Bulletin Board (Grades 7-12)