This bundle of American Tall Tales lessons includes everything you need to teach six American tall tales! Includes presentations and activities for: Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, Annie Oakley, and Davy Crockett. These folklore lessons were created for librarians, but they also work in classrooms.
- Recommended for: Grades 2-4
- Lesson Duration: about 50 minutes for each character (total 300 minutes); each lesson has two parts that divide easily into 25 minutes each if you have shorter class periods.
- Formats: PPT or Google Slides, PDF
- Editable: YES, all text is editable
- Paul Bunyan, Babe the Blue Ox, and hyperbole
- John Henry, The Transcontinental Railroad, and dangers of working on the railroad
- Johnny Appleseed, vegetarianism, and apples
- Pecos Bill, Slue Foot Sue, tornadoes, and feral children
- Annie Oakley, Calamity Jane, Frank Butler, and sharpshooting
- Davy Crockett, Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind Crockett, and The Alamo
- 30+ slide presentation, each with two sections
- The first section tells the story of the American tall tale character, from birth to death.
- The second section is fun facts about the tall tale character, plus more information about their time period and legacy. Set automatic timings in PPT or Google Slides to scroll these slides in the library or classroom.
- Scavenger hunt activity–Students use the presentation and scrolling slides in section two to answer questions about the tall tale character.
- Recommended Reads list related to the tall tale character–Print this list for students, teachers, and parents who want more tall tales! Includes six unique lists, one for each tall tale character.
- Answer Key for scavenger hunt
- pre-filled lesson plan template with CCSS, TEKS, and AASL standards–Need to turn in a lesson plan? I’ve done the essentials for you! Edit to add your own read-alouds or any changes you’d like to make.