Click here to see the full PDF preview of Library Orientation Scavenger Hunt #3.
- Library Orientation Scavenger Hunt #1 (great for Grades 4-7)
- Library Orientation Scavenger Hunt #2 (great for Grades 6-9)
- Recommended for: Grades K-2
- Duration of lesson: one class period (about 30-40 minutes)
- Formats: PPT or Google Slides; PDF
- Number of pages: 13
- Number of student pages: 5
- Editable: some parts are editable (see below)
Probably not. There is some set-up required on the morning of the lesson, as well as in-between the classes using it. I would not personally leave this lesson for a sub.
YES! This activity is perfect for ELL students because reading text is not required! Everything is in pictures, and the locations in the scavenger hunt are in virtually every library. You can also change the locations if you need to. Students will be moving around, exploring the library, and working collaboratively with a partner or small group.
- printer, copier
- 9 library locations (just remember images are not editable)
- 9 envelopes (one for each library location you use)
- cutting board or scissors
- 8-12 envelopes or zippered pouches (students keep the puzzle pieces they gather here)
- Students will need: pencil, crayons, colored pencils, markers
- Optional: clipboards, 9 small baskets for sorting puzzle pieces after the activity
- Library Orientation Scavenger Hunt grid and blank template
- puzzle, divided into 9 pieces (includes color and BW versions)
- coloring sheet of completed puzzle (BW)
- pictorial labels (groups and puzzle pieces)
- detailed prep and procedure directions for teachers/ librarians
- lesson plan with AASL and CCSS standards for K-2
- all text on the scavenger hunt grid (you can change the locations, but not the artwork)
- all text on the scavenger hunt grid (add your own images)
- Group labels
- artwork (I give three ways you can change the locations on the grid without deleting the artwork)
- coloring page
- puzzle pieces
- basket labels for sorting puzzle pieces
This is a great back to school library lesson because it gets students exploring the library on their own!
- In groups of 2-3, students find 9 locations around the library.
- At each location, they need to find the envelope for that location.
- Open the envelope and take one puzzle piece.
- Add the puzzle piece to their group’s envelope or zippered bag.
- Mark off the location on their scavenger hunt grid.
- After all locations are found, they will have 9 different puzzle pieces.
- Assemble the puzzle.
- Show the librarian or teacher the assembled puzzle to get the coloring sheet of the completed puzzle.
- Sort their 9 puzzle pieces into the sorting baskets. Having the pieces sorted will help you prepare the scavenger hunt location envelopes for the next class.
- Back to School Library Storytime (K-2)
- Book Care Storytime (K-3)
- Parts of a Book Storytime (K-2)
- Alphabet Storytime Letter A (PK-1)