Click here to see the full PDF preview of this Chinese New Year Research Activity.
MORE LUNAR NEW YEAR LESSONS AND ACTIVITIES:
- Lunar New Year Library Lesson (Grades 1-4)
- Lunar New Year Digital Bulletin Board (Grades 7-10)
- Chinese New Year Trivia Game (Grades 4-7)
- Recommended for: Grades 4-7
- Lesson Duration: 3 lessons (about 45 minutes each)
- Formats: PPT, Google Slides, PDF
- Editable: YES, most text is editable
- Updated for 2023, The Year of the Rabbit
This lesson focuses specifically on Chinese New Year as celebrated in China. I lived in Shanghai for six years and learned a lot about this celebration in that time. This lesson mentions Lunar New Year (celebrated outside China), but this research activity focuses on how China celebrates.
- pen or pencil
- computer and/or library books for research (multiple internet links included in the lesson planner)
- each group will need one of the four Research Guides
- crossword puzzle for early finishers
- in the following categories: Symbols and Luck, Food and Drink, Chinese New Year, and Chinese Mythology (4 pages, editable)
- for early finishers (1 PDF page)
- with prep instructions, divided by Days 1, 2, and 3 (4 pages, editable)
- to all (5 pages, all are editable except crossword puzzle)
- Everything except the crossword puzzle is
- Students watch a 3-minute video introducing Chinese New Year
- Students select from the four research topics (listed above)
- Students start research. Several links are included that will answer all of the questions in the Research Guides.
- Students continue research in groups.
- Early-finishers can work on the crossword puzzle.
- Students share what they learned in an Inside-Outside circle. Directions for Inside-Outside circles are included with the lesson plan.
There are no reviews yet.