- Recommended for: Grades K-5
- Lesson Duration: 1-2 library lessons (about 50 minutes total)
- Formats: PPT, Google Slides, PDF
- Editable: YES, all text is editable
1 – This library lesson is designed to an Veterans Day read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you! I cannot include a recorded read-aloud due to copyright restrictions.
2 – This presentation is . I mention Remembrance Day in a few slides, but the majority of this presentation is about the US military, US national monuments, and US history.
- 46-slide PPT + Google™ Slides library lesson presentation
- List of 20 recommended Veterans Day or military-themed read-alouds (1 page, PDF and PPT)
- Scavenger Hunt Activity (2 pages, differentiated, PDF and PPT)
- Answer Key for Scavenger Hunt (1 page, PDF and PPT)
- Prep, set up, tips (6 pages, PDF)
- Detailed, pre-filled, editable lesson plan; includes CCSS, TEKS, and AASL Standards (2 pages, PDF and PPT)
- Google™ Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PPT slide timings for digital bulletin boards (2 pages, PDF)
- sign language: “V-E-T” (for veteran)
- What is a veteran?
- What is the military?
- Why is Veterans Day on November 11?
- Why do people join the military?
- How can I tell someone is a veteran or service member?
- How can I honor service members?
- What is Remembrance Day?
- correct spelling of “Veterans Day”
- Veterans memorials (mostly in and around Washington, DC)
- 5 branches of the US military and what they do
- weekly and daily agendas
- Word of the Week: and
- Staff Spotlight: veterans who work at our school
- All slides are illustrated with real photos and colorful clipart for Grades K-5.
The Veterans Day Library Lesson includes real photos and information about the following US memorials:
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Marine Corps War Memorial
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Pearl Harbor
- 2 versions + answer key
- Version 1 – students color the Veterans Day items as they find them in the presentation slides
- Version 2 – questions about the information in the slides + smaller images to find
- Includes picture books, informational books, and fiction
- all titles relate to Veterans Day, military families, or historical events involving the military
- total of 20 titles
- includes small images from the presentation
- titles are editable, so you can customize the books included for your library
- All titles were hand-selected by a school librarian for quality, diversity, positive reviews, and currency.