- Recommended for: Grades 3-7 (though this can be used with older and younger grades, too)
- Lesson Duration: 1-2 library lessons (about 50 minutes total)
- Formats: PPT, Google Slides, PDF
- Editable: mostly editable – all presentation text is editable; two of the five Wanted posters are editable
After inventory, you discover many books missing from inventory. They are nowhere to be found. These books are not checked out to any student; they are just missing.
Let your students be the detectives! You’d be amazed where they find library books hiding around school. Offer a small sweet treat to any student who finds a library book that isn’t checked out to anyone.
- Add cover images of your missing library books to the presentation and the Wanted posters.
- Hang the Wanted posters in common areas around the school.
- Play the presentation “Top 10 Places Books Hide,” either on a scrolling loop, or go over orally with classes.
- Offer a small “sweet treat” to students who find a book that is missing and not checked out to anyone.
- Sit back and watch those missing books find their way home!
- Stamp books with a “FOUND!” digital sticker once they are found.
- printer–Black and White is okay for the posters, but color is best for your missing library book image covers. Students recognize the cover colors!
- monitor or screen to scroll the presentation
- Wanted Posters in 5 different designs (only two have editable text; this is due to TOU restrictions on the artwork used on three of the posters)
- 14-slide “Top 10 Places to Find Library Books” presentation (PPT or Google Slides). You will need to add cover images of your missing books to most slides. Book cover images are widely available online.
- Summer Camping Library Storytime (Grades K-3)
- End of School Year Summer Trivia Game (Grades 5-8)
- Skyscrapers Library Lesson (Grades 2-5)