- new elementary librarians
- elementary librarians on Specials rotation
- secondary teachers who are now elementary librarians
- busy parents who just don’t have time to create detailed storytime lessons
I have been all four of these at the same time! My storytimes are the lessons I would have wanted when I was a new, overwhelmed, and exhausted school librarian.
- Recommended for: Grades K-2
- Lesson Duration: 1-2 library lessons (about 50 minutes total)
- Formats: PPT, Google Slides, PDF (you only need one)
- Editable: YES, all text is editable
***Please note that this presentation is designed to a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you! I cannot include a recorded read-aloud due to copyright restrictions.
- 52-slide PPT + Google™ Slides
- two differentiated Scavenger Hunt Activities (2 pages)
- answer key (1 page)
- List of 28 recommended Halloween read-alouds (1 page)
- Halloween handout – Take Home Extension Activities (2 pages)
- Prep and set-up tips
- Lesson plan templates and notes (6 pages)
- Google™ Classroom Basics (4 pages)
- Instructions on how to set up PPT slide timings for digital bulletin boards (2 pages)
Part I is a whole-class discussion and read-aloud. The slides will walk you through the discussion from start to finish.
Remember that the read-aloud must come from you. I am not able to include a read-aloud due to copyright restrictions on published books.
- 2 nursery rhymes for Halloween
- American sign language sign (link to video)–“Halloween”
- Explanation of Halloween origins in the US
- Halloween symbols — bats, spiders, costumes, candy, colors, ghosts, skeletons, and black cats
Part II is a scrolling slideshow (slide timer instructions included). As students checkout, they can work on one of the two differentiated scavenger hunt activities that go with the slideshow.
- Fun facts and information about jack-o-lanterns, candy corn, bats, spiders, and skeletons
- Vocabulary word: guano
- 2 “Would-You-Rathers”
- Halloween joke
- 2 trivia questions and answers
Part III is a newer addition to my Library Lessons. This is a section of review questions. They are open-ended questions that make great time-fillers or help control potential chaos that sometimes happens at line-up or while waiting for teachers to pick up students from Specials.
This part includes 5 editable review questions. All the questions are answered in the presentation, but students can also make up additional answers for some questions.
- differentiated (one is images-only; one is images + text)
- 2 pages, PDF
- Scavenger Hunt #1 is an images-only hunt. Students can complete this scavenger hunt without reading the text on the slides.
- Scavenger Hunt #2 includes both images and text. This one is for the students who are able to read the Part II slideshow. This scavenger hunt includes images and questions about the information in the slideshow.
- Scavenger Hunt #2 includes answer key
- all recommended books are for Grades K-2
- all books have a Halloween theme
- total of 28 titles
- includes small, black and white images from the presentation
- titles are editable, so you can customize the titles for your classroom or library
- All titles were hand-selected by a veteran school librarian for quality, diversity, positive reviews, and currency.
- Nearly every book on the list received at least two positive reviews on Titlewave. Many also received starred reviews.
I am so excited about this new addition to my Library Lessons! You can see the free uneditable version here. This Halloween Storytime includes the editable version.
Students love sharing their knowledge! With this 2-page Halloween Storytime take-home extension, students can:
- quiz siblings, friends, and family members about some of the Halloween facts they learned in the storytime
- prepare their own “Monster Mix” Halloween snack
- read some recommended Halloween picture books
- learn six new Halloween vocabulary words
- learn to draw a Frankenstein monster using simple, step-by-step directions
- remember how to sign “Halloween” in American Sign Language
- review several safety tips for trick-or-treating
- 2 pages, text is editable in PPT, Google Slides, or PDF
- Halloween Library Handout Freebie (Grades K-3)
- Spiders Storytime (Grades K-3) – great alternative to Halloween!
- Halloween Digital Bulletin Board (Grades 3-6)