This library storytime lesson is also part of this Fall Library Lesson Bundle for elementary librarians.
- Recommended for: K-2 libraries
- Lesson Duration: 1-2 library lessons, about 50 minutes total
- Formats: PPT or Google Slides, PDF
- Editable: YES, all text is editable
***Please note that this presentation is designed to a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you! I cannot include a recorded read-aloud due to copyright restrictions.
- 37 PPT + Google™ Slides
- List of 22 Recommended Reads for back to school (1 page PDF — print and give to students, teachers, and parents)
- Two scavenger hunt activities, differentiated (2 page PDF and PPT)
- Scavenger hunt answer key (1 page PDF and PPT)
- Detailed, pre-filled, editable lesson plan; includes CC, TEKS, and AASL Standards (2 pages, PDF and PPT)
- Lesson tips and tricks (6 pages, PDF)
- Google™ Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PPT slide timings for Part II scrolling slides (2 pages, PDF)
Part I is a guided whole-class discussion. The slides walk you through the entire class discussion, from start to finish. It’s a great welcome to the library, introduction to the librarian, and discussion of what we can learn in the library.
- 3 recommended library read-alouds. Each book has a recommended video link to accompany the story.
- Who works in the library?
- Everyone belongs in the library
- What can we learn in the library?
- What is sign language?
- 2 ASL sign language signs — “library” and “book” (includes how-to video links)
- What should our hands, feet, mouth, eyes, and ears be doing during library storytime?
- Slide for your read-aloud (paste the book cover on the slide).
- Checkout reminders slide — add your own reminders!
- “What Should We Do Now?” slide — This is very clear instructions on what students should be doing after the lesson.
The second part is the scrolling slides. Set them on a timer to scroll on a screen during library checkout. Students can use the scrolling slides to complete one of the two Scavenger Hunts. All images and information in the slides relate to library and back to school.
- How many books are in our library?
- Who else works in the school?
- Reminder to be kind to each other and ourselves — back to school can be stressful!
- What is left-handedness?
- vocabulary word: “drowsy”
- Library trivia question and answer: Who writes the books?
- The school year calendar in Australia
- Meet our school principal
- this week’s birthdays
- weekly schedule and agenda
- checkout reminders (you add your own!)