LIBRARY IDEA FOR DECEMBER:

DECEMBER HOLIDAYS LIBRARY LESSON:

This December Holidays Library Lesson covers winter holidays from all over the world! Features Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Las Posadas, Pancha Ganapati, Boxing Day, and La Befana. Includes whole-group library lesson, scrolling slideshow, Recommended Reads, Scavenger Hunt activity, and lesson plan template.

Currently Reading...

YOU MIGHT LIKE...

Library Challenge #1 tasks you with an annual review (or maybe your first review) of your library's Selection and Reconsideration Policies.

LIBRARY CHALLENGE #1 Are library book challenges scary? I think so! But they are much less scary when you have a strong plan. When you know exactly what to do

Read More »
This article is 10 essential tips for new school librarians. These are the 10 things you should do FIRST in your new school library.

You’ve landed a brand new school librarian job–congratulations! All summer, you’ve looked forward to standing in the middle of your very own library, taking a deep breath, and reveling in

Read More »
This is a collection of fun ideas for middle school library orientation. Even if you don't use the ideas, the videos are a lot of fun to watch!

Ahh, the first day of school! Call me crazy, but I’ve always loved it! I will see my first middle school library orientation classes this Wednesday. We have a book

Read More »

Free on Fridays

DO YOU NEED A CHANGE IN SCENERY?

For many of you, this will be a last resort. I know it is not easy to change your workplace. Really, I do. But I will argue that saying that it’s “impossible” is an excuse.

Sorry, guys. I know that sounds harsh, and I’ll probably get some nasty comments over it…but it is an excuse.

If you are miserable at work–or I would also say, in your relationship–you owe it to yourself to work toward your freedom. Life is just too short to continue to be miserable. Dig deep and find your strength. Really, do you still want to feel this way in 10 years? No? Then do something TODAY to get out of that situation.

Even in a pandemic, there are other schools. There are literally thousands and thousands of them. Many will require a move, but if that’s not possible, there are still other schools in your district or county.

If your school is so toxic that all you can think of is leaving, then I implore you to start thinking seriously about leaving as a real option. A toxic school is like a toxic relationship. No one else can get you out of it. You would never recommend someone else to stay in an abusive relationship. If you know your school is toxic and has systemic issues that make you dread coming to work, you owe it to yourself to do something about it.

No, it probably won’t be easy. Take little steps. Start exploring new options, even the wildest, craziest options. Do you think I ever thought I’d be living in Mexico and doing MrsReaderPants full-time? That would be a huge NO. But then my situation changed. Don’t be afraid to explore those ideas that might be hiding in the corners of your mind. You never know what just might be a perfect fit for you.

My Dad likes to say that 95% of what we worry about will never happen, and you probably can’t do anything about the other 5% anyway. Whenever I am stressed out, worried about the future, or just plain anxious, I remember this idea.

If you are working in a toxic environment, there is a 100% chance that you will be Miserable on Mondays. If you are not in a Temporary on Thursdays situation, then what are you waiting for? More misery? More burnout? More feeling all alone? Find a way to be Free on Fridays. You DO have the power to get out. No one owns you, and no one can force you to work somewhere you don’t want to be.  Only you can lift that weight that’s dragging you down.

 

PREVIOUS: Temporary on Thursdays

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop