This 3-6 library lesson will save you so much time! Everything you need to teach elementary students about Ruby Bridges and school desegregation is included here. You only need to add your school’s information to a few slides (weekly agenda, birthdays) and an optional read-aloud of your choice.
- Recommended for: Grades 3-6
- Formats: PPT or Google Slides; PDF
- Editable: YES, all text is editable
- Lesson Duration: 1-2 lessons (about 60 minutes total)
***Please note that this Ruby Bridges Library Lesson is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you! I cannot include a recorded read-aloud due to copyright restrictions.
- 44-slide PPT + Google™ Slides presentation
- 2 differentiated Scavenger Hunt activities (3 pages PDF, includes answer key)
- Recommended Reads list; all have civil rights or school segregation themes (1 page, editable in PDF and PPT)
- pre-filled lesson plan template; includes AASL, CCSS, and TEKS standards (2 pages)
- Prep, set up, tips, lesson procedure (6 pages)
- 2 YouTube links to recommended Ruby Bridges videos
- sign language — “school” (includes link to show you how to sign it)
- narrative story of Ruby Bridges; every slide is illustrated
- trivia questions, facts about Ruby Bridges
- Word of the Week: segregation
- Word of the Week: Jim Crow Laws
- slide templates to add your library agenda, weekly schedule, and student and faculty birthdays
All information in the presentation was researched thoroughly by a certified school librarian. Research sources are noted in the Notes section of every slide.
The titles on Recommended Reading list were selected carefully to ensure that:
- All titles are recommended for Grades 3-6 in professional library journals.
- Every book listed received positive professional reviews.