Digital Storytimes will save you so much time! I design them specifically for new elementary librarians, especially those who are on the Specials rotation and/or are simply busy parents who just do not have time to create detailed storytime lessons.
These are the lessons I would have wanted when I was a new librarian and mom to two young boys.
The slides walk you right through a storytime! You will need a TV, monitor, or screen in your storytime area, plus the ability to present a PowerPoint or Google Slides presentation.
If your school is distance learning or switches to distance learning, this lesson is all ready to go on Google™ Slides! All you need to provide is the story to read aloud.
Needed to open and edit: Google™ Slides OR PowerPoint; ability to open PDF documents
Recommended for Grades: K-3
- 43-slide PPT + Google™ Slides–all text is editable; you choose which slides you want to use. 18 slides are storytime slides; 22 slides are “scrolling presentation” slides (can also be used to extend storytime).
- Separate list of 18 recommended spider-themed picture books (fiction and nonfiction). All were selected specifically for Grades K-3 and received positive professional reviews for use with Grades K-3.
- Detailed explanation of how I have used themed storytime lessons like this one on the “Specials” rotation. (10 pages, PDF)
- Google™ Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PPT slide timings for digital bulletin boards (2 pages, PDF)
- Detailed prep instructions and lesson plan (2 pages)
18 Storytime Slides include:
- Original storytime song about spiders + 2 additional suggested songs
- Video link to “spider” in American Sign Language
- “Fact or Fiction?” game of five different spider facts and myths. Students decide if the statement is fact or fiction, then the next slide gives the answer and additional information. It’s also great for reviewing the word “fiction” as being not true. (11 slides)
- Every slide in the presentation is illustrated with brightly-colored, high-resolution clipart and photos for K-3.
Optional Storytime OR Digital Bulletin Board Slides include:
- spider vocabulary includes: molting, exoskeleton, arachnid, phobia, arachnophobia, prey, venom, head, thorax, abdomen, antennae, body segments, species, egg sac, silk, spiderlings
- 1 slide about illegal tarantula pet trade
- Spider species mentioned: yellow garden spider, tarantula, Goliath birdeater, jumping spiders, Brazilian wandering spider, brown recluse (all include real photo of the spider)
- 7 visual booktalks; all are fiction and nonfiction picture books with spider theme
- 2 “Would you rathers”
- 1 spider joke
- Loaded with fun facts, Did you knows…, a “What do you think?” question