- Recommended for: all school libraries, regardless of grade level
- Editable: YES!
- Number of pages: 16
- Formats: PPT, Google Slides, and PDF (you only need one of these)
- sample selection policy
- information about formal and informal materials challenges
- tips for handling challenges (so you don’t make them worse)
- Formal Reconsideration packet (give to someone who wants to initiate a formal challenge)
- Selection Committee worksheet
- Selection Committee Summary of Proceedings
I have been a school librarian for 15 years. I am a certified teacher in Texas, and I hold a Master of Library Science degree from University of North Texas. I have worked in Texas public school libraries and served as Head Librarian at two private international schools in China.
I have dealt with multiple informal and formal challenges to library materials, as well as serving on school and district reconsideration committees. Even in the best of circumstances, challenges can be stressful and even scary.
I wrote these policy documents because I know many schools do not have any process for materials challenges. At other schools, the documents are insufficient or need updating.
These documents are based on the ALA recommendations for reconsideration policies. They are 100% editable and can be adapted to your school as needed.
I regularly add new products for school librarians and English teachers to my store. Take advantage of the “First 48 Half-Off” by . Subscribing by email will give you notifications of when new products are posted.