It’s time! I update the Genre Personality Quiz with something new every summer, but this year, thanks to stay-at-home orders, I’ve got an enormous update! I’ve been working on this update since February, and I am so excited about it!
If you already own the Genre Personality quiz and/or posters, you can now redownload the update for free, either from my TPT store or my MrsReaderPants blog store (depending on where you purchased it).
THE SUMMER 2020 UPDATE CONTAINS ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- NEW DIGITAL VERSION for Google Classroom!
- 4 new Genre Personalities–there will be 12 total
- History Buff has gone away (students rarely get History Buff)
- “The Romantic” (MS/HS version) has been renamed “The Amigue” (gender-neutral Spanish term for “friend”) and expanded (not just romance books anymore!)
- All the Personalities have had additional characteristics added
- All Genre Personality posters updated (this is a separate purchase)
- PowerPoint and printable quizzes have been updated; some answers tweaked and pop culture references updated
- Now includes 24 full-page Genre Personality Profiles with editable book recommendations
- The Activist has been tweaked to help ensure students who should get it, do get it
- All read-alike bookmarks updated to include 2020 titles
If you do not yet have the “What’s Your Genre Personality?” Quiz, you really do need to have a look at it! The reviews speak for themselves! It’s my favorite activity to do in the library, and it shapes how my students browse books for the entire school year. You can easily pattern your library displays, book talks, and browsing time around your students’ Genre Personalities.
If you have any of my “Back to School Library Essentials” bundles that include the Genre Personality Quiz and posters, you will also be able to download the update free.
LINKS TO THE GENRE PERSONALITY QUIZ AND POSTERS:
- “What’s Your Genre Personality?” Quiz–elementary version (Grades 3-6)
- “What’s Your Genre Personality?” Quiz–secondary version (Grades 6-12)
- “What’s Your Genre Personality?” quiz–bundle that includes both elementary and secondary versions (Grades 3-12)
- Genre Personality Poster Set–elementary
- Genre Personality Poster Set–secondary
NOT SURE WHICH VERSION TO BUY?
If you are teaching Grades 7-12, you definitely want to go with the Secondary version. If you are teaching Grades 3-5, I recommend the Elementary version. Grade 6 could go either way. The Secondary version includes romance in the genre recommendations and the questions, so if you want to stay away from any references to romance, go with the Elementary version for Grade 6.
If you are teaching ESL classes in Secondary, you might prefer the Elementary version because the wording is simpler. Instead of “The Amigue” Personality, the elementary version has “The Bestie.” Both are similar, but “The Amigue” includes the romance genre; “The Bestie” does not include romance.
Even though I include bookmarks for Lower Elementary School (Grades K-3), I actually do not recommend the Genre Personality Quiz below Grade 3. It’s mainly because I think the language may be too difficult, and not because of the content itself. The quiz answers are editable though, so if you do teach younger students, you can change up the language if you like.